Wednesday 31 July 2013

Beautiful Budapest Part I



After an amazing week in Croatia, we left the country behind and caught a train from Zagreb to Budapest in Hungary.  We had decided that in Budapest we would spend 2 nights in a quiet hostel and get all of our sightseeing out of the way, and then spend 2 nights in one of the famed party hostels (we settled on Retox Party Hostel).  We arrived at our first hostel, and I immediately managed to break my top bunk.  Clearly I’d put on a few kilos, because one of the bed slats snapped in half when I climbed into my bunk.  Clever Milena.

That evening, we went for a walk by the Danube on the Pest side of Budapest, and what a beautiful sunset it was.  After going for a bit of a walk and working up some hunger, I used Happy Cow to find us a nice vegetarian restaurant.  Don’t ever let anyone tell you that eastern Europe isn’t vego friendly.  We walked past so many vegetarian restaurants in Budapest, purely by chance, and were absolutely spoilt for choice.  On our first evening we decided on Govinda’s, a lovely, little Indian restaurant serving up traditional Indian fare as well as some vegetarian takes on local dishes. Yum.  Even after one evening there, I had fallen in love with the beautiful city of Budapest and it was fast becoming evident that 4 nights there just wasn’t enough time to really see everything.

The photos from Govinda’s are annoyingly of pretty awful quality, but that is just because it’s dimly lit and iphone cameras are bad at dealing with that sort of lighting.  So excuse the bad quality photos, but the food was delicious!




The beautiful views we had from our train on the way.  Aren't the sunflowers just stunning?



Gorgeous sunset in Pest.



I didn't know this at the time, but these shoe sculptures are actually a monument to the Jews who lost their lives during World War II.  This memorial place is so simple, yet so effective.



The last one is one of my favourite pictures from today's post! The park had a sign that seemed to quite clearly state no dogs were allowed (my Hungarian is not that great), and it looked like there was a gathering of dog owners and trainers there when we strolled past.  There were at least 30 or 40 dogs all running around this park having an absolute ball.  It was so cute that I made Chewy sit down and watch them with me for a good 15 minutes!


These are the unassuming stairs down to Govinda's.



A happy chappy at the prospect of a big feed!




Pay Govinda's a visit when you're next in Budapest, and I promise you you won't be disappointed!

1 comment: